"TO PRESERVE, PROMOTE, AND PRESENT the history
of yarmouth, massachusetts."
The Historical Society of Old Yarmouth was founded in 1953 with the mission of preserving, and developing community interest in, the history of Yarmouth. Led by Caroline Siebens and Ann Maxtone-Graham, that vision resonated. People got involved. They joined. They volunteered. The Historical Society soon grew to more than 500 members who set about collecting the objects and documents that could convey Yarmouth’s past, and promoting the preservation of historical sites in the town.
In 1958, Guido Perera, a descendant of original Yarmouth settler Anthony Thacher, gave the Society an historic family house on Yarmouth Port’s Common, as well as 50 acres of adjoining woodlands. This generous gift is now the Captain Bangs Hallet House Museum and the Historical Society Nature Trails. The Museum, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is today the only furnished sea captain's home on Cape Cod regularly open to the public and is the location for numerous community events.
WHERE WE ARE NOW
The Historical Society of Old Yarmouth continues to actively carry out the mission and vision of its founders by persistently collecting Yarmouth’s past, and sharing that past in imaginative ways with the local community as well as with visitors from all over the world. The Society, led by a Board of Trustees, has two part-time staff members and dozens of active and enthusiastic volunteers. The operations of the Society include the Captain Bangs Hallet House Museum, the 18th Century Kitchen, the Gorham Cobbler Shop, the Historical Society Nature Trails, The Kelley Chapel, and our administrative headquarters at the relocated and reconstructed Gorham Cobbler Shop (behind the Post Office on 6A). Our Library and Archival Collections are now located there in a climatically controlled archival storage facility specifically designed for this purpose. Our office is open to the public on Tuesdays and Thursdays 10 AM – 3:30 PM.
Each year we sponsor lectures, school programs, exhibitions, walking tours, concerts, holiday events, and various other social and educational opportunities for the community. We also have an active publishing program designed to encourage historical scholarship about Yarmouth and make it available to all: residents and visitors, authors and historians, teachers and students—everyone.
wHERE WE'RE HEADED
Future plans for the Society include developing new space for permanent and changing exhibitions and expanding our presence in the villages of South and West Yarmouth, both rich in historical importance. The Society is also working to better present and market The Captains' Mile, the Captain Bangs Hallet House Museum and its surrounding historic sites, as well as the beautiful grounds and Nature Trails that contain so many outstanding botanical specimens.
TO THE CAPTAIN BANGS HALLET HOUSE MUSEUM: Located on Strawberry Lane Common, just off Route 6A in Yarmouth Port. From Route 6 take Exit 7. Right on Willow street to Route 6A. Right on 6A about a mile, just past the Yarmouth Port Post Office. Turn right onto Strawberry Lane (the Common). The Bangs Hallet House Museum is the second house on the right, #11.
TO THE HISTORICAL SOCIETY'S ADMINISTRATIVE HEADQUARTERS & ACHIVES: Located at 229 Old King's Highway (Route 6A) in Yarmouth Port, on the lane adjacent to and slightly behind the Yarmouth Port Post Office.