||The Taylor-Bray Farm in Yarmouth Port was originally settled in 1639 by
Richard Taylor. The farm remained in the Taylor family until 1896 when
George and William Bray, two brothers who had worked for the Taylors,
purchased the property. The Brays continued to operate a working farm and
were often seen selling their strawberry crop from a wheelbarrow on Old
King’s Highway. After George Bray’s death in 1941, the farm’s ownership
changed hands several times until 1987 when the Yarmouth Town Meeting voted
to purchase the farm “for historic preservation and conservation” purposes.
The farm, a rare survivor of a type of
property that once characterized north side agricultural development, was
placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1993. A small flock
of sheep is still kept at the farm.
The non-profit Taylor-Bray Farm
Preservation Association and the Yarmouth Historical Commission began an
active collaboration in 2001 aimed at fixing up the property for greater
public enjoyment. Extensive work remains to further restore the late
eighteenth century farmhouse and barn.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Open daily year round dawn to dusk. The farm offers picnic tables, short
woodland walking trails, and beautiful views of Black Flats marsh, which was
once harvested for its salt marsh hay to feed the farm animals.
Farm buildings are not open to the
public, but watch local newspapers for announcements of seasonal farm events
sponsored by the Taylor-Bray Farm Preservation Association and the Yarmouth
Historical Commission. Please call the Yarmouth Historical Commission at
508-398-2231 ext. 1292 for additional information.
Located at 108 Bray Farm Road North, about a half
mile off of Route 6A in Yarmouth Port.
copyright ©2012, all rights reserved,
The Historical Society of Old Yarmouth, PO Box 11, Yarmouth Port, MA 02675