This windmill takes its name from its original builder, Judah Baker, who had
the mill constructed in 1791. Like many early windmills on Cape Cod, this
mill experienced several moves before it came to its current location.
Originating in South Dennis, it was moved to Kelley's Pond, in Dennis, and
later to the Yarmouth side of Bass River. By 1866, it rested near its
current location and was used by Braddock Matthews for milling grain. As
large commercial mills appeared in the Midwest, local mills, including this
one, fell into disuse. In 1953, the mill was donated to the town of
Yarmouth along with the surrounding Windmill Park, which includes a small
swimming beach on Bass River. In 1999, the windmill underwent an extensive
renovation and now appears in its original condition.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Open seasonally – for a schedule please call the Yarmouth Historical
Commission at 508-398-2231 ext. 1292.
River Street, South Yarmouth
copyright ©2012, all rights reserved,
The Historical Society of Old Yarmouth, PO Box 11, Yarmouth Port, MA 02675